Friday, February 4, 2011

The Red Shoes

I got to see a very interesting show last night: Kneehigh Theatre's The Red Shoes, at Her Majesty's Theatre.

Based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale about a girl who winds up with a pair of red shoes that are cursed so she can't stop dancing or take them off, it's done in what can best be described in a dark, twisted cabaret style1. There's a cross-dressing narrator, four performers (three of which play multiple characters) and two musicians, and between them they tell the story on a relatively simple set: mostly a raised platform with an arch (upon which the narrator perches) and a set of folding doors.

It is a different kind of cabaret, for want of a better description; at its heart it's a physical theatre/movement work, and at times (with the narrator on the platform above) feels almost like a live-action puppet show. There's music, but it's almost entirely instrumental rather than sung - apart from a few (hilarious) lip-synched segments, including some opera. Much of the music is recorded, but almost all the pieces are added to by the two musicians (and occasionally the othe cast members), who between them play harp, guitar, mandolin, banjo, piano accordian2, brass, woodwind and even a hurdy-gurdy. The fourth wall gets tossed aside; the performers - the narrator in particular - all engage with the audience throughout.

Overall, It's hilarious and captivating, and one of the most original shows I've ever seen. The dialogue - courtesy of poet Anna Maria Murphy - is clever and funny, and is enhanced by the performers' tremendous skills at physical theatre. If you like dark and quirky theatre, check it out. It's only on in Adelaide for a couple more nights; tickets are through BASS. Also check out Kneehigh's site, and read reviews and interviews with the creators on the ShoGo page3.

1It reminded me in many ways of a show I saw last year, Smoke & Mirrors; you can read the review here.
2Last Cabaret Festival a discussion about what does and doesn't fit the description of 'cabaret' came up; last night I came to the conclusion that, all else aside, if it features the use of a piano accordion, it's definitely cabaret.
3Not sure when these will appear, but it should be soon.

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY I can comment after posting my own take on The Red Shoes.

    Thank God you managed to categorise the genre of the show for me. I was trying to explain the show to friends on the weekend afterwards, and it was a struggle. "Dark, twisted cabaret" encapsulates it perfectly.

    I think the thing that impressed me most was the physical theatre/movement work. The way that the actors brought the animal puppets so vividly to life was a small touch but really helped transport me to another world.

    I also liked how the heroine's dress gradually became spliced with more vivid red as she was overtaken more and more by the shoes.

    I'll be curious to see what you think of my perspective on the death-camp aesthetic of the actors.

    Thanks for coming along to the show with me! It's always nice to see a show with someone who loves theatre as much as you do :)

    ReplyDelete