Friday, April 13, 2012

The current state of affairs

I haven't posted anything for a while, even though I was intending to write my now-standard blog post about festival season. Some of that is down to how ridiculously busy – even by my standards – I was during the final weeks of Fringesanity and the immediate aftermath; some down to the emotional/mood issues I found myself experiencing at the same time.

Unfortunately, those now seem less like moods and more like a permanent shift in temperament – but that's not (directly at least) what I'm here to write about, other than as an explanation for why I haven't been writing much lately.

Another blow was the unexpected death of my friend and mentor from the Adelaide Theatre Guide, Richard Flynn, who died in hospital last weekend. While he hadn't been well in recent months, and was in hospital having suffered a broken hip from a fall, he was recovering and in good spirits; apparently, he contracted a golden staph infection, which caused a brain-bleed and a subsequent heart attack that killed him.

So, yeah – it hasn't been a great few weeks.

Things are looking up, though. Firstly, some months ago I was cast in a production of Don's Party1 that goes on in June, and we had the first read-through a couple of nights ago; that went really well, and it looks like it's going to be a great production. Secondly, this weekend I'm off to Melbourne for another Global Atheist Convention – you can read about what I got up to at the 2010 equivalent here. And finally I've just picked up a copy of A Game of Thrones – the book, not the series; I have watched the series, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it – and plan to write a blog post about it once I'm finished.

Which means plenty of grist for the mill, as they say.

1An Australian classic by our most acclaimed playwright, David Williamson; there's a film version, but I haven't seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment