Saturday, May 28, 2016

Louvre revisited

Went back to the Louvre and saw some of the parts I didn't get to last time - which include more Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Caravaggio, Saraceni, Rembrandt, Goya, Gainsborough, El Greco, Van Dyck, Dürer, Holbein and a great deal more of Eugène Delacroix.

La belle ferronnière by Leonardo da Vinci. Sure, everyone loves the really famous one, but this one's pretty impressive, too. Lady has a stare.







Lot's Daughters, getting him all liquored up and ready for action. Sometimes the bible is awesome.


Probably too small to see here, but the cherub at bottom right has a great expression. And that's not a lizard facing off with the dog, it's a capuchin monkey.

 A Rembrandt.



A portrait by Goya.



The Sleepwalking Lady Macbeth by Henry Fuseli





A Van Dyck

I'm glad you're being stabbed, Saint Sebastian.


This is a Rembrandt self-portrait. It's not a very good photo because it was far away in a section still in progress.


Hans Holbein. I saw a lot of his in London.



I didn't note who this one is by, but it's hilarious nonetheless.


Albrecht Dürer self-portrait.


Another Holbein



I liked the fleur-de-lis on this dress



A small, ugly man with a dog.


"Stop playing Jesus' halo like a harp!"


I didn't note down who this was by, which I'm now annoyed by.


Magdalena Bay by Auguste Francois Biard. Not someone I've ever heard of, but this really stood out. Not a lot of paintings of snow.


Portrait of Chopin by Eugène Delacroix


That was all the paintings. I then found the sculpture section and worked my way to the oldest.








This is the base of the Vendôme Column in Place Vendôme, just around the corner from my apartment.


The view of Rue Saint-Roch, my street - it's the one on the right.


And that was my last day in Paris, sadly. I'd had a shit of a time getting there, but once I was there, I liked it. The weather could have been a bit nicer, but I got a few very good days.

I spent my last night mostly doing laundry. But that's in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment