Friday, July 1, 2016

Adventures in Galway

In Dublin I collected my rental car – this time I didn't have anything as vibrant as the DILFmobile; I got a black Audi A1 turbo diesel. Which meant a whole bunch of firsts for me: driving an Audi, a diesel or a turbo. I think I've driven a black car before...


So, I set off for Galway. It was quite a nice drive, but I didn't stop too often to take pictures; I saved that for after I'd gotten there and dropped my luggage off at the B&B and headed off again. There are a few interesting scenic areas near Galway, but my first destination was south of Galway city and over the (county) border into County Clare.





Galway Bay.
























As you can see, this area is super rocky. It's quite magnificent.
















At some point I went a bit off-road and inland. Still no shortage of rocks. There was almost no-one else around and at one point I started to get a bit of a Wicker Man vibe and freaked out somewhat. But no villagers came for me.






That was it for driving for the day. But I still had time for some walking after dinner.


Downtown Galway.


Happened across some live folk music - in Gaelic, no less.


 On the day after Bloomsday I got to see the house of Nora Barnacle, James Joyce's wife.



Day 2

On day 2 I headed off in the other direction to see what I could find worth seeing around Connemara and beyond.











Aughnanure Castle.

















Back on the road to Connemara. I consider pretty much everything from here on in as 'McDonagh country' because of all the works of Martin McDonagh that are set in and around this area – A Skull in Connemara, Lonesome West, The Cripple of Inishmaan, The Lieutenant of Inishmore and The Beauty Queen of Leenane.









The Connemara Giant outside Joyce's Craft Shop.


Random sheep.







Kylemore Abbey.














The Aran Islands.





Damp lamb.



That was all the driving for the day. I once again set off on foot into town.

Statue – Oscar Wilde and Eduard Vilde.














St Nicholas' Collegiate Church – allegedly visited by Christopher Columbus.



Just an interesting looking building.






And that was my time in Galway.

No comments:

Post a Comment