Saturday, September 21, 2019

Munich Day 2

Apologies for the layout; it's a mix of my pictures and Rochelle's and I don't have the time to put them into proper order - I'm behind enough already! But I will come back and fix things up when I can.

First order of business today was a walking tour of Munich - after having probably too much breakfast at our hotel. German breakfasts are quite unlike anything I'd ever had before; there's hard-boiled eggs, something that is almost but not quite bacon and a lot of cold meat for starters and the muesli (at least the one I had) had chocolate in it. They make good coffee here was well - we knocked off a pot between us.

The walking tour went for about two and a half hours and was led by a great guide named Matt (a Canadian by way of the USA) and his brindle French bulldog, Rufus.

We went places like the Rathaus, the Frauenkirche, the Theatine Church, Feldherrnhalle, the Hofbrauhaus and a bunch of other Munich landmarks. Matt really knew his stuff and had a great manner, so we learned a lot and had fun.

After that we caught the train out to the part of town where both the BMW museum and the Olympic Stadium are - we intended to go to both, which we did.

Yes, our feet got very sore today.

Came back into town having decided to have dinner at the Hofbrauhaus - a very old-fashioned German place; picture people in traditional dress, huge beers and hearty Bavarian food. And yes, there was a band playing. But the beer was nice and the food was good.

And that was about it for day 2 in Munich. Pictures!







This was actually the second of two shibas we saw today; there was one earlier that we weren't quick enough to snap a pic of. That's three in two days!




Matt the tour guide.












BMW 850s outside the museum - one of my favourite models, almost entirely due to the pop-up headlights.



BMW also own Mini, if you're wondering why there's one of them here.



I don't think I've ever seen a real F1 car before.



Serious pipes.



I liked the look of this 1964 model. Turns out it was styled by an Italian.






Possibly my favourite of the museum.



Apparently they made a few hundred thousand of these weird door-at-the-front things.


I've always liked the M1, but I'm not sure about the colour of this one.










I think there is a Rugby 7s tournament coming up.


The BMW museum has a creepy robot lawn mower.









Dinner at the Hofbrauhaus.


No comments:

Post a Comment