Saturday, December 27, 2008

What Christmas means to me

Well, since it is the appropriate time of the year for such a topic, I’m going to write about what Christmas means to me – since it’s one of those things that is almost entirely idiosyncratic, I'm of the opinion it means just slightly different things to everyone.

First and foremost is that, for me, it’s not about Jesus – since I’m not a Christian, and never have been. Well, not in the sense of believing in the religious aspects; you could, I suppose, say I was a Christian (of sorts), because I went to church and Sunday School for a few years, and was also involved in some of the social groups attached to a church. But that was more for something to do, at my mother’s behest rather than out of any particular theological interest. I think she believed it might help make me a better person. I’m not sure that it did, but I guess we’ll never know. So, Christmas for me doesn’t involve any church services.

I’m also not so fond of pageantry. Nothing horrifies me more than the yearly parade they have in Adelaide. I just don’t see the point – for me, anyway. For people with kids I’m sure it’s a great day, but I don’t have any, and don’t seem likely to anytime in the near future.

Since pageantry also extends to decorations they aren’t high on my list either. So, no tinsel, fairy lights – and definitely no tree. Apart from anything else I live in a small unit, and what space I’ve got is taken up with things I need to be there the whole year ‘round. I guess I could get a small, token tree and put it on my dining room table, but as yet I haven’t felt the urge to do so.

Family, of course, is a big Christmas thing - which I also don’t do. Mainly because of geography; they all live in Queensland and I live in South Australia. Of course, one of the reasons I moved here was because I feared they’d be able to just show up for random, unannounced visits, and the very thought made me break out in hives – so it’s not exactly a coincidence I’m more than a thousand miles away.

But they don’t often meet up these days anyway. There are a lot of reasons for that, and it’s a topic worthy of its own post. So I’ll leave it at that.

Gifts and related retail insanity also doesn’t feature much. That’s another family thing; we’re cheap bastards because of genetics, apparently. So we don’t go to a great deal of effort or expense, except for the kids. Back when I went to Christmas with them the adults usually gave each other fairly minor things.

At this point you’re probably wondering what it is I do like about Christmas.

One thing I really enjoy is the time away from work. This is important, because I don’t tend to take holidays like normal people; I use my leave to help me cope with theatre productions. So not having to work and not having to rig lights, build sets or yell at actors (or be yelled at as an actor) is a novelty.

But most importantly I get to spend time with my friends. Despite my geographic isolation from my family I’ve never managed to spend a Christmas alone. Friends from University, friends from work, friends from theatre or flatmates – I’ve done Christmas day with them all. And it’s always great.

That’s what Christmas means to me.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a week's headstart on a very worthwhile new year's resolution..

    You've successfully made me curious about your familial heritage.. a relative of mine says "Upon gold, nothing grows.. but upon shit, grow flowers.."

    Another friend says "A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor.."

    I look forward to future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas for me is family, friends and opportunities to make people's eyes bug out by choosing *exactly* the right present. I don't have 100% hit rate, but I really enjoy putting in time to think about the person I'm choosing a present for and getting something that is really especially suitable, and then watching them be all excited when they unwrap it. :-)
    My favourite question to ask kids at Christmas is "what was your favourite present you gave someone?" as it makes them reflect on the giving of gifts and not just the receiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - I'll probably talk about the family from time to time; it's something I find much easier to write about than to talk about.

    Jordan - I wish I had that kind of perceptive power! With the limited gift-giving experience that I have had a few occasions where I've really hit the nail on the head it's been a great feeling.

    Thanks for posting, guys. I should have another one up in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete