Saturday, June 18, 2016

A Drive to the Highlands

I got up, had breakfast (my last haggis for who knows how long?), lugged my suitcase to the tram stop; caught the tram to the airport (saw some more wild rabbits on the way out there), collected my rental car – a Vauxhall Astra Corsa which looked like this:


Good grief. I was fairly sure I had the brightest car in all of Scotland. Hilariously, it had a baby seat in the back; ergo, anyone seeing me in it might think that I was a single dad still trying to impress women with my car.

I therefore dubbed it the DILFmobile. I'm still kind of baffled the car rental place even owns something like this. It certainly wasn't what I'd put down in my preferences. And, while it was good to drive (it has six gears, which is a novelty), the tiny windscreen and windows meant it was actually pretty crap for visibility – not exactly what you want while sightseeing.

So, I got in the DILFmobile and worked out its eccentricities, then fought with the TomTom for a bit before working out how to change countries before getting on the road.

Weather was a bit shit, but I was still able to take a few pictures along the way.








Dropped some stuff off at the B&B and went driving around. First thing I found worth taking a picture of was a lovely Scottish beach.








Saw these things from a distance so I drove quite a ways to get closer. I think they're some sort of oil/gas drilling device?



I had to have Chinese for dinner 'cause it was the only place I could find that actually had space – Saturday night in downtown Inverness is not a good place to go for food in peak hour if you haven't booked.

No comments:

Post a Comment