Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Wandering Glasgow

Today was the day to wander around Glasgow. Fortunately, the weather was looking pretty good. So, first up I headed towards town – for those who know Glasgow, I was staying out just to the west of the city, near where the Great Western Road crosses the River Kelvin.














They have these flowerpot things all over the place. They're very pretty.



This was a monument to a man who was head of some kind of temperance movement. Temperance, is in 'not drinking alcohol'. I think he was fighting an uphill battle.









Was walking along the Clyde (the main river in Glasgow) when I spotted some random geese.






In case you can't read it:

In memory of those who opposed World War One in order to challenge the purpose of the war and the waste of lives.

They also campaigned for social and economic justice and against the exploitation of those who lived in the city during the war.


I meant to find out what this...thing...is, but I forgot.


Oh, and all this is around a building called The People's Palace. There's a quite ornate fountain near it.




Australia!






They have functioning non-TARDIS police boxes.






And some rather good murals.











The Glasgow Necropolis.


























My room at the guest house.




Next up was the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum.












They have Salvador Dali's Christ of St John of the Cross (next one down) plus some notes he made about it (below).






Van Gogh's Portrait of Alexander Reid.




Georges Seurat.


Picasso.



Rembrandt's Man in Armour.









And that, I believe, was my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment